This 2001 ABC News/ Washington Post Poll is a special topics poll of 1,350 randomly selected adults. The poll asked respondents about their attitudes toward President Bush's White House Office of Faith-Based Initiatives. Questions also addressed the state of the nation, the importance of issues like protecting the environment, and how well the president is handling education, the economy, and international affairs. Additional variables include religious and political affiliation, gender, age, education, and race.
- Data File
- Cases: 1,350
Weight Variable: WEIGHT
- Data Collection
- Date Collected: April 19-22, 2001
- Funded By
- ABC News, Gary E. Langer, Director of Polling
- Collection Procedures
- TNS Intersearch of Horsham, PA conducted this survey for ABC News/ Washington Post. Telephone interview surveys were done with 1,350 adults in the continental United States.
- Sampling Procedures
- As described on the Methodology page of the ABC News Web site (http://abcnews.go.com/US/PollVault/story?id=145373&page=1), "A sample of households in the continental United States is selected via random digit dialing (RDD) procedures, to ensure that all possible listed and unlisted phone numbers are included with equal probability of selection.
"Sampling then occurs in three stages. First, a systematic random sample of telephone exchanges is selected within each stratum, by taking every nth exchange. ... Next, telephone banks (the first two digits of the four-digit suffix) with more than one residential listing assigned in white pages directories are classified as working banks. ... The third stage of sampling is respondent selection within the household, accomplished by last-birthday selection. Interviewers ask to speak to the household member age 18 or over at home who's had the last birthday. ..." Please see the Methodology Web page listed above for a full description of the sampling procedures used in this survey.
- Principal Investigators
- Gary E. Langer, Director of Polling, ABC News
- Related Publications
- For more information about this survey:
- For more information about this survey or other ABC News surveys, see the ABC News Poll Vault at http://www.abcnews.go.com/PollingUnit/PollingArchives/
According to the methodology page of the ABC News Web site (http://abcnews.go.com/US/PollVault/story?id=145373&page=1),
"Final data are weighted using demographic information from the Census to adjust for sampling and nonsampling deviations from population values. Respondents customarily are classified into one of  cells based on age, race, sex and education. Weights are assigned so the proportion in each of these  cells matches the actual population proportion according to the Census Bureau's most recent Current Population Survey."