National Evangelical Lutheran Church (Finnish)

 Religious Groups > Lutheran >
Search Religious Groups:


Denominational Profile

History

 

National Evangelical Lutheran Church (Finnish) (1898)

merged intoLutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LCMS) (1847)

The Finnish Evangelical Lutheran National Church of America was organized in 1898 at Rock Springs, Wyoming. It became the National Evangelical Lutheran Church in 1946 and in 1963 it merged into the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

Membership Data

Year Clergy Churches Members
1925 16 60 5,000
1929 15 65 4,625
1935 14 59 7,904
1937 - 69 -
1940 - 65 6,275
1942 - 72 5,928
1947 - 65 6,559
1950 22 71 7,147
1951 23 71 7,530
1952 26 60 6,768
1953 25 60 7,148
1954 27 58 7,906
1955 26 58 7,282
1956 33 59 7,561
1957 25 57 8,428
1958 32 57 9,195
1959 34 54 9,772
1960 29 55 10,146
1961 35 56 10,545
1962 35 53 11,142

Data were taken from the National Council of Churches' Historic Archive CD and recent editions of the Yearbook of American and Canadian Churches. Denomination descriptions provided by Dr. J. Gordon Melton, Director, Institute for the Study of American Religion (ISAR). [More information on data sources]