Mauritius
 National Profiles > Regions > Eastern Africa > Mauritius
Search National Profiles:

  Preferred Religion (2015)1: Mixed Catholic, Hindu

  Majority Religion (2015)2: Hindu (48.1%)

Religious Adherents, (2015)2

Mauritius Eastern Africa World
Hindu 48.1% 0.4% 14.5%
Christian (all denominations combined) 30.2% 65.3% 29.9%
 
  • Catholic
  • 27.2% 20.1% 15%
     
  • Pentecostal
  • 1.8% 8.9% 2.8%
     
  • Protestant
  • 0.7% 15.8% 5.6%
     
  • Anglican
  • 0.2% 7% 1.2%
     
  • Other and Unknown Christian
  • 0.3% 2.7% 2.3%
    Muslim (all denominations combined) 17.5% 22.1% 22.8%
     
  • Sunni Muslim
  • 13.5% 19.8% 19%
     
  • Other and Unknown Muslim
  • 4% 0.9% 0.3%
    Chinese Folk Religionist 0.2% --- 4.3%
    Buddhist (all denominations combined) 0.1% --- 6.6%
     
  • Mahayana Buddhist
  • 0.1% --- 4.3%
    Other Religionist 0.1% 0.1% 0.2%
    Not Religious (incl. Atheist) 2.1% 0.5% 12%
    Unknown 1.6% 1.2% 4.8%

    Religious Demography3

    The country has an area of 718 square miles and a population of 1.2 million. In the 2000 census, an estimated 50 percent of the population claimed to be Hindu, 32 percent Christian, and 17 percent Muslim; 1 percent was comprised of other religions, such as Buddhism and animism. No official figures exist that distinguish between active practitioners of a faith from inactive believers of that faith. According to the latest 2000 census, 73 percent of Christians are Roman Catholic. The remaining 27 percent are members of the following groups: Seventh-day Adventist, Assembly of God, Christian Tamil, Church of England, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Evangelical, Jehovah's Witnesses, and Mormons. Sunnis account for more than 90 percent of Muslims; a minority is Shi'a.

    According to the 2000 census, on the main island, the north is primarily Hindu, while the center is primarily Catholic. There are also large populations of Muslims and Catholics in the cities of Port Louis, Quatre Bornes, and Curepipe. Most mosques and churches are concentrated in these areas. The island of Rodrigues is 92 percent Catholic.

    The country is a small island nation, and its ethnic groups, known as "communal groups," are tightly knit. Intermarriage is not common, although the census indicated that it is increasing. There is a strong correlation between religious affiliation and ethnicity. Citizens of Indian ethnicity usually are Hindu or Muslim. Those of Chinese ancestry generally practice both Buddhism and Catholicism. Creoles and citizens of European descent usually are Catholic.


    Sources

    1.  The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson the principal investigator of the World Christian Database and the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database.

    2.  The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports the estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. The RCS was created to fulfill the unmet need for a dataset on the religious dimensions of countries of the world, with the state-year as the unit of observation. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivision within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson the principal investigator of the World Christian Database and the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database.

    3.  The U.S. State Department's International Religious Freedom Report is submitted to Congress annually by the Department of State in compliance with Section 102(b) of the International Religious Freedom Act (IRFA) of 1998. This report supplements the most recent Human Rights Reports by providing additional detailed information with respect to matters involving international religious freedom. It includes individual country chapters on the status of religious freedom worldwide. A dataset with these and the other international measures highlighted on the country pages can be downloaded from this website. These State Department reports are open source.

    Bookmark and Share