- Religious Freedom
- Religious Regulation
- Religious Support
- Public Opinion
Preferred Religion (2015)1: Orthodox
Majority Religion (2015)2: Orthodox (95.1%)
Features Of Constitution
|Is there a constitution?3||yes|
|Does the constitution state an official religion?3||no [Article 5(2)]|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?3||yes [Article 31(2)]|
|Does the constitution protect religious equality/non-discrimination?3||yes [Article 16(2)]|
|Translation3||Source is an English translation, edited by ARDA staff.|
|Current as of3||July 29, 2018|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)3
Article 5. Democracy and political pluralism.
(2) No ideology may be instituted as official ideology of the State.
Article 10. Unity of the people and the right to national identity.
(2) The State shall recognize and guarantee the right of all citizens to the preservation, development and expression of their ... religious identity.
Article 16. Equality.
(2) All citizens of the Republic of Moldova shall be equal before the law and public authorities, regardless of ... religion ...
Article 31. Freedom of conscience.
(2) The freedom of religious worship shall be guaranteed and they shall organize themselves and operate according to their own statutes under the rule of law.
(3) In the relationships between the religions any manifestation of discord shall be forbidden.
(4) The religious denominations shall be autonomous, independent from the State and shall enjoy the latter’s support, including by facilitating the religious assistance in the army, hospitals, penitentiaries, nursing homes and orphanages.
Article 32. Freedom of opinion and expression.
(3) The law shall forbid and prosecute all actions aimed at ... religious hatred ...
Article 35. Right to education.
(8) The State shall ascertain, under the law, the freedom of religious education. The State education system shall be of a lay nature.
Article 72. Categories of laws.
(3) The organic law shall govern:
(l) the general system of religious denominations;
1. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
2. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports annual estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivisions within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
3. Text from country constitutions was copied from primary documents obtained online using a variety of sources, including the Constitute Project, World Constitutions Illustrated, and government sources. When the text was in a language other than English, it was translated to English by ARDA staff or with web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to differentiate religious content from non-religious content. Text is current to the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.