- Religious Freedom
- Religious Regulation
- Religious Support
Preferred Religion (2015)1: Tibetan Buddhist
Majority Religion (2015)2: Vajrayana Buddhist (54.3%)
Features Of Constitution
|Is there a constitution?3||yes|
|Does the constitution state an official religion?3||unclear [Article 9]|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?3||yes [Article 16(15)]|
|Does the constitution protect religious equality/non-discrimination?3||yes [Article 14(2)]|
|Translation3||Source is an English translation.|
|Current as of3||October 4, 2018|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)3
(1) The State shall respect the religion, whereas the religion shall honor the State in Mongolia.
(2) The organs of State shall not engage in religious activities, and the religious organizations or monasteries shall not conduct political activities.
(3) The relationship between the State and religious organizations or monasteries shall be regulated by law.
(2) No person shall be discriminated against on the basis of ... religion and conscience ...
The citizens of Mongolia shall be guaranteed to exercise the following rights and freedoms:
(15) Freedom of conscience and religion.
(2) In case of a state of emergency or war, the human rights and freedoms as prescribed in the Constitution and by other laws may be subject to limitation exclusively by law. Such law shall not affect ... the freedom of thought, conscience and religion ...
1. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
2. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports annual estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivisions within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
3. Text from country constitutions was copied from primary documents obtained online using a variety of sources, including the Constitute Project, World Constitutions Illustrated, and government sources. When the text was in a language other than English, it was translated to English by ARDA staff or with web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to differentiate religious content from non-religious content. Text is current to the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at email@example.com if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.