Features of Constitution1
|Is there a constitution?||Yes|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?||Yes|
|Last Amended||not amended|
|Source||Constitutional Court of the Kingdom of Thailand|
|Translation||Source is an English translation|
|Current as of||May 11, 2011|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)2
The Thai people, irrespective of their origins, sexes or religions, shall enjoy equal protection under this Constitution.
The King shall be enthroned in a position of revered worship and shall not be violated.
No person shall expose the King to any sort of accusation or action.
The King is a Buddhist and Upholder of religions.
All persons shall be equal before the law and shall enjoy equal protection under it. Males and females shall enjoy equal rights.
Unjust discrimination against a person on grounds of difference in origin, race, language, sex, age, physical conditions or health, economic or social status, religious belief, education or constitutionally political view, which does not contravene the provisions of this Constitution, shall not be permitted.
Measures determined by the State in order to eliminate obstacles to or to promote person� [sic] abilities as other persons shall not be deemed as unjust discrimination under paragraph three.
A person shall enjoy full liberty to profess [a] religion, religious sect or creed, and observe religious precept[s] or exercise a form of worship in accordance with his or her belief; provided that it is not contrary to his or her civic duties, public order or good morals.
In exercising the liberty referred to in paragraph one, a person is protected from any act of the State, which is derogatory to his or her rights or detrimental to his or [her] benefits on the grounds of professing a religion, a religious sect or creed or observing religious precepts or exercising a form of worship in accordance with his or her different belief from that of other[s].
Every person has a duty to protect and uphold the nation, the religion, the King, and the democratic regime with the King as the Head of the State.
The State shall patronize and protect Buddhism, which is the religion the majority of Thai people have practiced for [a] long time, and other religions, promote good understanding and harmony among followers of all religions, as well as encourage the application of religious principles to create virtue and develop the quality of life.
A person having the following prohibitions on the Election Day is disfranchised:
(1) Being a monk, novice, Brahmin priest, or clergy;
(2) Being under suspension of the right to vote;
(3) Being detained by a warrant of the Court or by a lawful order;
(4) Being of unsound mind or of mental infirmity
1. Data under the "Features of Constitution" heading are drawn from coding of the U.S. State Department's 2008 International Religious Freedom Reports conducted by researchers at the Association of Religion Data Archives. The article by Brian Grim and Roger Finke describes the coding of the International Religious Freedom reports. A dataset with these and the other international measures highlighted on the country pages can be downloaded from this website. Used with permission.
2. The constitutional excerpts shown above are reproduced from the websites given in the "Source" field; the links to these websites were active as of May 2011. Where the constitutional text shown on these websites was provided in a language other than English, this text was translated to English by ARDA staff with assistance from web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate and Yahoo! Babel Fish. Constitutional text was converted to American English where applicable. Constitutional clauses were judged to contain religious content based largely on the standards used in the construction of the Religion and State Constitutions Dataset collected by Jonathan Fox. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to highlight religious content in articles that also contain content that does not pertain to matters of religion. The data on this page were correct to the best of the knowledge of the ARDA as of the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at email@example.com if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.