- Religious Freedom
- Religious Regulation
- Religious Support
- Public Opinion
Preferred Religion (2015)1: Western Christian
Majority Religion (2015)2: Protestant (incl. Anglican, Pentecostal) (42.4%)
Features Of Constitution
|Is there a constitution?3||yes|
|Does the constitution state an official religion?3||no [Article 7]|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?3||yes [Articles 29(1)(b,c), 37]|
|Does the constitution protect religious equality/non-discrimination?3||yes [Article 21(2)]|
|Translation3||Original was written in English.|
|Current as of3||August 17, 2018|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)3
FOR GOD AND MY COUNTRY
National Objectives and Directive Principles of State Policy
III. National unity and stability.
(ii) Every effort shall be made to integrate all the peoples of Uganda while at the same time recognising the existence of their ... religious ... diversity.
(iii) Everything shall be done to promote ... respect for each other’s ... beliefs.
XVIII. Educational objectives.
(iii) ... religious bodies ... shall be free to found and operate educational institutions if they comply with the general educational policy of the country and maintain national standards.
Article 7. Non-adoption of state religion.
Uganda shall not adopt a State religion.
Article 21. Equality and freedom from discrimination.
(2) Without prejudice to clause (1) of this article [declaring equality before the law], a person shall not be discriminated against on the ground of ... creed or religion ...
(3) For the purposes of this article, ‘discriminate’ means to give different treatment to different persons attributable only or mainly to their respective descriptions by ... creed or religion ...
[Some technical exceptions follow]
Article 29. Protection of freedom of conscience, ... religion ...
(1) Every person shall have the right to-
(b) freedom of thought, conscience and belief ...
(c) freedom to practise any religion and manifest such practice which shall include the right to belong to and participate in the practices of any religious body or organisation in a manner consistent with this Constitution;
Article 34. Rights of children.
(3) No child shall be deprived by any person of medical treatment, education or any other social or economic benefit by reason of religious or other beliefs.
Article 37. Right to culture and similar rights.
Every person has a right as applicable, to belong to, enjoy, practise, profess, maintain and promote any ... creed or religion in community with others.
Article 71. Multi-party political system.
(1) A political party in the multi-party political system shall conform to the following principles-
(b) membership of a political party shall not be based on ... religion ...
Article 129. The courts of judicature.
(1) The judicial power of Uganda shall be exercised by the Courts of Judicature which shall consist of-
(d) such subordinate courts as Parliament may by law establish, including Qadhis’ courts for marriage, divorce, inheritance of property and guardianship, as may be prescribed by Parliament.
1. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
2. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports annual estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivisions within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
3. Text from country constitutions was copied from primary documents obtained online using a variety of sources, including the Constitute Project, World Constitutions Illustrated, and government sources. When the text was in a language other than English, it was translated to English by ARDA staff or with web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to differentiate religious content from non-religious content. Text is current to the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.