- Religious Freedom
- Religious Regulation
- Religious Support
- Public Opinion
Preferred Religion (2015)1: Orthodox
Majority Religion (2015)2: Orthodox (44.6%)
Features Of Constitution
|Is there a constitution?3||yes|
|Does the constitution state an official religion?3||no [Article 14(1)]|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?3||yes [Article 28]|
|Does the constitution protect religious equality/non-discrimination?3||yes [Article 19]|
|Translation3||Source is an English translation.|
|Current as of3||July 29, 2018|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)3
(5) The establishment and activities of public associations whose goals and activities are aimed ... at instigating ... religious strife shall be prohibited.
(1) The Russian Federation shall be a secular state. No religion may be established as the State religion or as obligatory.
(2) Religious associations shall be separate from the State and shall be equal before the law.
(2) The State guarantees the equality of human and civil rights and freedoms regardless of ... attitude to religion ... All forms of limitations of human rights on ... religious grounds shall be prohibited.
Everyone shall be guaranteed freedom of conscience and religion, including the right to profess individually or collectively any religion or not to profess any religion, and freely to choose, possess and disseminate religious and other convictions and act in accordance with them.
(2) Propaganda or agitation, which arouses ... religious hatred and hostility shall be prohibited. Propaganda of ... religious ... supremacy shall also be prohibited.
(3) In the event that their ... religious beliefs run counter to military service and in other cases established by federal law, citizens of the Russian Federation shall have the right to replace it with alternative civilian service.
1. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
2. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports annual estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivisions within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
3. Text from country constitutions was copied from primary documents obtained online using a variety of sources, including the Constitute Project, World Constitutions Illustrated, and government sources. When the text was in a language other than English, it was translated to English by ARDA staff or with web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to differentiate religious content from non-religious content. Text is current to the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at email@example.com if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.