- Religious Freedom
- Religious Regulation
- Religious Support
Preferred Religion (2015)1: Sunni
Majority Religion (2015)2: Sunni Muslim (89%)
Features Of Constitution
|Is there a constitution?3||yes|
|Does the constitution state an official religion?3||yes [Article 2]|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?3||unclear [Article 2]|
|Does the constitution protect religious equality/non-discrimination?3||no|
|Translation3||Source is an English translation.|
|Current as of3||September 30, 2018|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)3
In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful
Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of Worlds; and Praise and Peace be upon Mohammad, His Last Messenger and his disciples and followers
Believing firmly in Almighty God, relying on His divine will and adhering to the Holy religion of Islam;…
Appreciating the … jihad … of all the peoples of Afghanistan …
Afghanistan shall be an Islamic Republic …
The sacred religion of Islam is the religion of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. Followers of other faiths shall be free within the bounds of law in the exercise and performance of their religious rituals.
No law shall contravene the tenets and provisions of the holy religion of Islam in Afghanistan.
The state shall adopt necessary measures to … develop religious teachings, regulate and improve the conditions of mosques, religious schools as well as religious centers.
The source for the calendar year of the country shall be based upon the migration of The Prophet (PBUH).
… The national insignia of Afghanistan shall be comprised of an emblem and a pulpit in white color, at the two corners of which are two flags, inscribed in the top middle the holy phrase "There is no God but Allah and Mohammad is his Prophet, and Allah is Great." …
The national anthem of Afghanistan shall be in Pashto with the mention of "God is Great" …
Life is the gift of God …
(1) [Political parties’] manifesto and charter shall not contravene the Holy religion of Islam …
Formation and operation of a party on the basis of … religious sectarianism shall not be permitted. …
The state shall devise and implement a unified educational curricula [sic] based on the tenets of the sacred religion of Islam … and develop religious subjects curricula for schools on the basis of existing Islamic sects in Afghanistan.
… The state shall adopt necessary measures to attain … the elimination of related traditions [to the family] contrary to the principles of the sacred religion of Islam.
The individual who becomes a presidential candidate shall have the following qualifications:
(1) Shall be … Muslim … …
[*Note: Section (3) applies the same qualifications to Vice-Presidential candidates also.]
[Presidential oath of office:] "In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful, I swear by the name of God Almighty that I shall obey and protect the Holy religion of Islam … in seeking God Almighty's help and support of the nation …"
… [T]he Presidential position shall not be used for … sectarian … and religious … considerations.
[Ministerial oath of office:] "In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful, I swear in the name of God Almighty that I shall protect the Holy religion of Islam … in all my deeds consider the Almighty's presence …"
… [T]he Ministers shall not use their positions for … sectarian … [or] religious … purposes.
Supreme Court members shall have the following qualifications:
(3) Shall have higher education in legal studies or Islamic jurisprudence …
[Supreme Court oath of office:] "In the of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful, I swear in the name of God Almighty to attain justice and righteousness in accordance with tenets of the Holy religion of Islam …"
The principles of adherence to the tenets of the Holy religion of Islam as well as Islamic Republicanism shall not be amended. …
1. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
2. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports annual estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivisions within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
3. Text from country constitutions was copied from primary documents obtained online using a variety of sources, including the Constitute Project, World Constitutions Illustrated, and government sources. When the text was in a language other than English, it was translated to English by ARDA staff or with web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to differentiate religious content from non-religious content. Text is current to the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.