- Religious Freedom
- Religious Regulation
- Religious Support
- Public Opinion
Preferred Religion (2015)1: Western Christian
Majority Religion (2015)2: Catholic (36.4%)
Features Of Constitution
|Is there a constitution?3||yes|
|Does the constitution state an official religion?3||devolved to cantons [Article 72]|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?3||yes [Article 15]|
|Does the constitution protect religious equality/non-discrimination?3||yes [Article 8(2)]|
|Translation3||Source is an English translation.|
|Current as of3||July 21, 2018|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)3
In the name of Almighty God!
Article 8. Equality before the law.
(2) No person may be discriminated against, in particular on grounds of ... religious ... convictions ...
Article 15. Freedom of religion and conscience.
(1) Freedom of religion and conscience is guaranteed.
(2) Every person has the right to choose freely their religion or their philosophical convictions, and to profess them alone or in community with others.
(3) Every person has the right to join or to belong to a religious community, and to follow religious teachings.
(4) No person may be forced to join or belong to a religious community, to participate in a religious act, or to follow religious teachings.
Article 72. Church and State.
(1) The regulation of the relationship between the church and the state is the responsibility of the Cantons.
(2) The Confederation and the Cantons may within the scope of their powers take measures to preserve public peace between the members of different religious communities.
(3) The construction of minarets is prohibited.
1. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
2. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports annual estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivisions within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
3. Text from country constitutions was copied from primary documents obtained online using a variety of sources, including the Constitute Project, World Constitutions Illustrated, and government sources. When the text was in a language other than English, it was translated to English by ARDA staff or with web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to differentiate religious content from non-religious content. Text is current to the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.