- Religious Freedom
- Religious Regulation
- Religious Support
Preferred Religion (2015)1: Shia
Majority Religion (2015)2: Sunni Muslim (78.5%)
Features Of Constitution
|Is there a constitution?3||yes|
|Does the constitution state an official religion?3||not stated|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?3||yes [Article 3]|
|Does the constitution protect religious equality/non-discrimination?3||yes [Article 33(3)]|
|Translation3||Source is an English translation.|
|Current as of3||September 19, 2018|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)3
... the forefront of confrontation with the Zionist enemy ...
The religion of the President of the Republic is Islam; Islamic jurisprudence shall be a major source of legislation; The State shall respect all religions, and ensure the freedom to perform all the rituals that do not prejudice public order; The personal status of religious communities shall be protected and respected.
(4) Carrying out any political activity or forming any political parties or groupings on the basis of religious, sectarian ... discrimination ... may not be undertaken;
(3) Citizens shall be equal in rights and duties without discrimination among them on grounds of ... religion or creed;
(1) Freedom of belief shall be protected in accordance with the law;
1. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
2. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports annual estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivisions within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
3. Text from country constitutions was copied from primary documents obtained online using a variety of sources, including the Constitute Project, World Constitutions Illustrated, and government sources. When the text was in a language other than English, it was translated to English by ARDA staff or with web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to differentiate religious content from non-religious content. Text is current to the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at email@example.com if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.